Other European Defense Updates:
Austria | Belgium | Bulgaria | Czech Republic | Denmark | Estonia | Finland | France | Germany | Hungary | Ireland | Italy | Kroatia | Latvia | Lithuania | Netherlands | NATO | Norway | Poland | Portugal | Romania | Serbia | Slovenia | Sweden | Switzerland.
For an insight into each of the countries, click on the country name for a detailed report listing the 10 recent news items for that specific country.
- DSEI 2017 Reflects the Latest Trends Oct 1, 2017 The biennial Defense Security Equipment International Exhibition (DSEI) held in London in September 2017 provided insight into British defense programs. The event attracted strong international participation, both visitors and exhibitors from 42 countries, many of which addressed UK and European defense and security requirements. The exhibition considered the second largest of its kind in the west, covered aviation, maritime and land warfare, as well as defense electronics, training simulation, security and cyber. DSEI reflected the growing concern of the Russian threat among countries within NATO. At the backdrop of DSEI was ZAPAD-2017, the large-scale military exercise held along the Russian Army with Belarus, along with its border with Europe. Another concern reflected here was the terror threat, both to military and the homeland. Several exhibitors displayed here innovative solutions that address evolving threats, including land, marine and airborne IEDs and mines. Main Highlights: Naval Modernization Equipping the Strike Brigades New Interest in Active Protection Wheeled Armored Vehicles Pocket Artillery for the Warfighter Fast Wheels for Special Forces Unmanned Systems Assume New Roles Naval Modernization Of a particular interest was the Royal Navy frigate modernization program, particularly the replacement of aging combatants with new Type 26 and Type 31e, and modernization of air defense systems on the remaining Type 23 frigates, that includes the replacement of Sea Wolf anti-missile system and Rapier Ground Based Air Defense missiles with the Common Anti-Air Modular Missile (CAMM). The Navy also plans to modernize its electronic warfare capabilities, for which and announced a teaming agreement. Anti-submarine warfare, electronic warfare, and mine countermeasures were also featured, addressing acquisition programs with several NATO navies. Babcock unveiled at DSEI its Arrowhead class light frigate, developed to meet the Royal Navy requirement for eight Type 31e vessels. The new 120m vessel has a displacement of 4000 tons and an operating autonomy of 6,000 nautical miles. It is armed with ...
- DEFEXPO 2018 HIGHLIGHTS – Armored Vehicles Apr 14, 2018 Part III of our photo review of DEFEXPO 2018 features news of armored vehicles. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketTelegramLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- DEFEXPO 2018 HIGHLIGHTS – Unmanned Systems Apr 14, 2018 The fourth part of our photo report highlighting UAV topics from the DEFEXPO 2018 exhibition in India. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketTelegramLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- DEFEXPO 2018 HIGHLIGHTS – Artillery Apr 14, 2018 Part II in our photographic coverage of DEFEXPO 2018 features artillery systems. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketTelegramLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- DEFEXPO 2018 – Photo Highlights Apr 13, 2018 Part I of 4 photographic reviews of DEFEXPO 2018 brought to you by Defense-Update. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketTelegramLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- IDF to Modernize its Infantry Brigade with Hundreds of Eitan 8×8 APCs Apr 13, 2018 The IDF has completed a test series of the new Eitan 8×8 wheeled APC being developed by the Israel Ministry of Defense tank authority for use by IDF infantry brigades. Although the vehicle is developed and ready to be produced in Israel, it is likely that on the long term, U.S. manufacturers will receive the lion’s share of this program, if only to enable the IDF to meet the tight schedules and lower costs required for the project. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketTelegramLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- AeroVironment Enhances Puma UAV to Endure E-Combat Mar 26, 2018 AeroVironment, Inc. is unveiled today the Puma 3 AE, a new version of its proven RQ-20B Puma AE small tactical UAV that includes upgrades that prepare the air-vehicle for operation in rugged terrain and challenging electronic combat environment. The updated design enables the SUAS to carry advanced, third-party payloads and software applications. The entire system has also been reduced in size, now enabling to carry a flyable system in a single case. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketTelegramLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- Four Multinational Teams Bid for £1.5 billion UK-MOD Operational Readiness Training Services Contract Mar 18, 2018 The British Ministry of Defense has selected four groups to bid for its upcoming Air Support to Defense Operational Training (ASDOT) requirement. Each of the groups selected for the program has teamed with training services specialists from the USA, Canada, and Israel to deliver adversary aircraft and weapons. The winning group will operate various high-performance jets simulating aggressor fighter and attack planes, cruise missiles and electronic combat to training British air, land and naval forces. A final selection is expected in September 2018 followed by the contract award in 2020 that could be worth up to £1.5 billion over 15 years. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketTelegramLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- Australian SilverShield to Protect Afghan Security Vehicles from IEDs Mar 18, 2018 The Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) will soon equip their vehicles with a newly developed Australian made counter-IED device called ‘SilverShield’. According to a contract awarded by the Australian defense ministry to L-3 Micreo, the company will deliver 13,000 communications jammer units to the Afghan forces, bringing the total sales of Australian C-IED jammers to Afghanistan to A$85 million. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketTelegramLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- US Drone Maker Cleared to Export Jet Powered Combat Drones Mar 15, 2018 Kratos Defense & Security Solutions, a manufacturer of jet-powered tactical unmanned aerial drone systems, will soon offer its Mako militarized, combat unmanned aerial vehicles systems for export, following approval of such export by the U.S. State Department to certain European and Asia Pacific region countries. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketTelegramLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- Australia to Buy +200 Combat Reconnaissance Vehicles from Germany Mar 14, 2018 The Prime Minister of Australia, The Honourable Malcolm Turnbull MP, has announced today that Rheinmetall has been selected by the Australian Government to provide its next-generation 8×8 Combat Reconnaissance Vehicles (CRVs)The German-designed Boxer 8×8 wheeled armored reconnaissance vehicles will replace the Piranha-based ASLAV armored vehicles currently in service under the Land 400 Phase 2 Project. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketTelegramLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr