Other Regional Defense Updates:
Algeria | Bahrain | Cyprus | Egypt | Iran | Iraq | Israel | Jordan | Kuwait |
Lebanon | Libya | Morocco | Oman | Qatar | Saudi-Arabia | Syria | Turkey |
Tunisia | UAE | Yemen.
- DSEI 2017 Reflects the Latest Trends Oct 1, 2017 The biennial Defense Security Equipment International Exhibition (DSEI) held in London in September 2017 provided insight into British defense programs. The event attracted strong international participation, both visitors and exhibitors from 42 countries, many of which addressed UK and European defense and security requirements. The exhibition considered the second largest of its kind in the west, covered aviation, maritime and land warfare, as well as defense electronics, training simulation, security and cyber. DSEI reflected the growing concern of the Russian threat among countries within NATO. At the backdrop of DSEI was ZAPAD-2017, the large-scale military exercise held along the Russian Army with Belarus, along with its border with Europe. Another concern reflected here was the terror threat, both to military and the homeland. Several exhibitors displayed here innovative solutions that address evolving threats, including land, marine and airborne IEDs and mines. Main Highlights: Naval Modernization Equipping the Strike Brigades New Interest in Active Protection Wheeled Armored Vehicles Pocket Artillery for the Warfighter Fast Wheels for Special Forces Unmanned Systems Assume New Roles Naval Modernization Of a particular interest was the Royal Navy frigate modernization program, particularly the replacement of aging combatants with new Type 26 and Type 31e, and modernization of air defense systems on the remaining Type 23 frigates, that includes the replacement of Sea Wolf anti-missile system and Rapier Ground Based Air Defense missiles with the Common Anti-Air Modular Missile (CAMM). The Navy also plans to modernize its electronic warfare capabilities, for which and announced a teaming agreement. Anti-submarine warfare, electronic warfare, and mine countermeasures were also featured, addressing acquisition programs with several NATO navies. Babcock unveiled at DSEI its Arrowhead class light frigate, developed to meet the Royal Navy requirement for eight Type 31e vessels. The new 120m vessel has a displacement of 4000 tons and an operating autonomy of 6,000 nautical miles. It is ar with ...
- Norway Orders Korean 155mm Self Propelled Howitzers Dec 21, 2017 The Norwegian Defence Materiel Agency and Hanwha Land Systems yesterday signed a contract for the procurement of 24 K9 Thunder self-propelled 155mm L/52 Artillery Systems. The total worth of the arms package is about 1.8 Billion NOK. (US$287 million). Pre-series of the artillery system will be delivered for initial trials in 2019 with the remaining batches delivered through 2020, forming a combat-ready artillery battalion in 2021. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- Romania Orders 173 Iveco DV Military Trucks Dec 21, 2017 The Romanian Ministry of National Defence awarded Iveco Defence Vehicles (Iveco DV) a contract for the supply of 173 military trucks to be supplied within 2018. The trucks are equipped with a self-recovery winch, and Central Tyre Inflation System (CTIS) the vehicles offer exceptional mobility and fording capability. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- US Air Force to Experiment With Counter-Air Defense Cruise Missiles Dec 21, 2017 The U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) munitions directorate awarded two competitive contracts for the first phase of development of a new cruise missile designed to defeat modern, integrated air defense systems (IADS). Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- An Unmanned Pathfinder for the Royal Navy Flagship Dec 21, 2017 On the recent visit of HMS Ocean at the port of Haifa, the flagship of the Royal Navy participated in a mine warfare exercise at the Haifa Bay, where Israeli Seagull Unmanned Surface Vessels (USV) acted as pathfinders for the British amphibious support helicopter carrier, sailing in simulated mine-infested waters. The mission was part of a joint exercise between the Israeli Navy and the British Royal Navy in Haifa Bay. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- India Issues Request for 83 Tejas MK1A Light Combat Aircraft Dec 20, 2017 The Indian Air Force intends to buy 83 Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas MK1A from Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), according to a tender issued to HAL, as the sole source for the indigenously developed and built aircraft. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- Royal Navy Completes Sea Ceptor firing trials Dec 20, 2017 The Royal Navy has successfully conducted the final First of Class firing trials of the new Sea Ceptor air defense system – completing the qualification firings of this cutting-edge new capability for the Royal Navy. With HMS Argyll having completed development testing of Sea Ceptor, the weapon system is now being rolled out to the Royal Navy’s other Type 23 Frigates. The first of a series of installation test firings have been successfully completed on HMS Westminster. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- Brazilian KC-390 Achieves Initial Operational Capability Dec 20, 2017 The Brazilian Air Force KC-390 achieved Initial Operational Capability (IOC) today. As part of the IOC, obtained a KC-390 Provisional Type Certificate from the Brazilian National Civil Aviation Agency (ANAC), According to the schedule, in 2018, the final Type Certificate will be issued. Delivery of the first series aircraft to the FAB is also scheduled to take place in 2018. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- IMSAR Introduce a Podded, Extended Range SAR Radar Dec 19, 2017 IMSAR successfully flight-tested an extended range multi-mode radar, the NSP-5 ER, for the first time. During the flight, the new sensor underwent testing to verify that image quality and impulse response metrics met IMSAR standards, delivering high-resolution imaging and coherent change detection modes. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- Pressed by Saudi-led Coalition in Yemen, Houthis Attempt Deep Strikes in Saudi Arabia, UAE Dec 19, 2017 Iranian backed Houthis in Yemen targeted the Saudi capital Riyadh today, launching a Burkan 2 ballistic missile. This was the second failed attempt by the Houthis to hit the capital of Saudi Arabia. Using conflicts in Syria and Yemen to demonstrate the capabilities of their weapons, particularly missiles and long-range weapons, Iran is projecting power and influence throughout and beyond the region. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- IAI Secures La Quiaca Border Crossing in Argentina Dec 19, 2017 (IAI) has recently completed the installation of the first secured border crossing in La Quiaca, Argentina, as part of a project that includes four border crossings characterized by different topologies. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr