Other Regional Defense Updates:
Algeria | Bahrain | Cyprus | Egypt | Iran | Iraq | Israel | Jordan | Kuwait |
Lebanon | Libya | Morocco | Oman | Qatar | Saudi-Arabia | Syria | Turkey |
Tunisia | UAE | Yemen.
- DSEI 2017 Reflects the Latest Trends Oct 1, 2017 The biennial Defense Security Equipment International Exhibition (DSEI) held in London in September 2017 provided insight into British defense programs. The event attracted strong international participation, both visitors and exhibitors from 42 countries, many of which addressed UK and European defense and security requirements. The exhibition considered the second largest of its kind in the west, covered aviation, maritime and land warfare, as well as defense electronics, training simulation, security and cyber. DSEI reflected the growing concern of the Russian threat among countries within NATO. At the backdrop of DSEI was ZAPAD-2017, the large-scale military exercise held along the Russian Army with Belarus, along with its border with Europe. Another concern reflected here was the terror threat, both to military and the homeland. Several exhibitors displayed here innovative solutions that address evolving threats, including land, marine and airborne IEDs and mines. Main Highlights: Naval Modernization Equipping the Strike Brigades New Interest in Active Protection Wheeled Armored Vehicles Pocket Artillery for the Warfighter Fast Wheels for Special Forces Unmanned Systems Assume New Roles Naval Modernization Of a particular interest was the Royal Navy frigate modernization program, particularly the replacement of aging combatants with new Type 26 and Type 31e, and modernization of air defense systems on the remaining Type 23 frigates, that includes the replacement of Sea Wolf anti-missile system and Rapier Ground Based Air Defense missiles with the Common Anti-Air Modular Missile (CAMM). The Navy also plans to modernize its electronic warfare capabilities, for which and announced a teaming agreement. Anti-submarine warfare, electronic warfare, and mine countermeasures were also featured, addressing acquisition programs with several NATO navies. Babcock unveiled at DSEI its Arrowhead class light frigate, developed to meet the Royal Navy requirement for eight Type 31e vessels. The new 120m vessel has a displacement of 4000 tons and an operating autonomy of 6,000 nautical miles. It is armed with ...
- German Air Force Typhoons to Assume Attack Role in 2018 Dec 19, 2017 The German Air Force officially received the first shipment of Enhanced Paveway II guidance kits (GBU-48), preparing its Eurofighter Typhoon to assume ground attack missions. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- Aeroshield Pod to Protect Airbus 320 Dec 19, 2017 BIRD Aerosystems has won a contract for the installation of the AeroShield POD on a number of Airbus 320 Type aircraft Under this contract, the company will install the AeroShield POD with the AMPS-MV system on aircraft of a governmental customer in Europe. This contract follows a successful program of the AeroShield POD with a similar configuration on 737 type aircraft. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- J-Music Systems Selected to Protect the European Aerial Tanker Fleet Dec 19, 2017 J-Music Directional Infrared Countermeasures (DIRCM) and PAWS-IR missile approach warning systems, comprising anti-missile self-protection systems were selected to be fitted to the new Airbus A330 Multi-Role Tanker Transport (MRTT) aerial tankers scheduled to join the fleet beginning 2020. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- Airbus Taps WIlliams’ Experience to Enhance Zephyr Dec 19, 2017 Williams Advanced Engineering will explore the use of lightweight composites and battery design for application with Airbus‘ Zephyr High Altitude Pseudo-Satellite (HAPS) programme. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- Bell V-280 Valor Tiltrotor Completes First Flight Dec 19, 2017 The V-280 Valor has achieved first flight yesterday, at Bell Helicopter facility at Amarillo, Texas. The V-280 Valor is Bell’s variant evaluated by the US Army Joint Multi-Role Technology Demonstrator initiative. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- F-35 Program Met 2017 Goal with 66 Aircraft Delivered Dec 18, 2017 On Friday, December 15, Lockheed Martin delivered the 66th F-35 aircraft for the year, meeting the joint government and industry delivery target for 2017. The delivery rate in 2017 represents more than a 40 percent increase from 2016, and the F-35 enterprise is prepared to increase production volume year-over-year to hit full rate of approximately 160 aircraft in 2023. As production ramps and additional improvements are implemented, Lockheed Martin’s goal is to reduce the cost of an F-35A to $80 million by 2020. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- Romania Evaluates Spike LR Missiles in Dismounted Configuration Dec 18, 2017 The Romanian Army has completed testing of SPIKE LR (Long Range) missiles as part of the Romanian Army qualification of the man-portable Spike-LR for dismounted operations. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- Qatar Acquires Ballistic Missiles from China Dec 18, 2017 Qatar is fielding a short-range ballistic missile with a range of 480 km, an act that further expands the country’s reach and deterrence amidst raw with neighboring UAE and Saudi Arabia. The first units of SY-400 missile, to be displayed on the national parade, was seen publicly for the first time during the rehearsals yesterday. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- Saxony Police Force Receives New Armored Vehicles Dec 18, 2017 The special police unit in Saxony received the Survivor R transport vehicles today, equipping its counter-terror special unit. A second vehicle will follow next week. The acquisition of armored vehicles was part of an extensive €15 million anti-terror package. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr
- New Slovak-Finish 8×8 AMVXP Undergoing Winter Testing in Finland Dec 18, 2017 A new version of an amphibious AMVXP integrated with Turra weapon system is undergoing winter testing in Finland, under a joint development program with Slovakia. Slovak Army trials are expected to continue through March. Slovakia plans to procure up to 81 IFVs as part of a military modernization program. Deliveries are expected to commence in 2018-2024. Share this:PrintEmailRedditPocketLinkedInPinterestTwitterFacebookGoogleWhatsAppMoreTumblr