Market Research and Other Regional Defense Updates:
Afghanistan | Australia | Brunei | Bangladesh | China | India | Indonesia | Japan | Malaysia | Myanmar |
North Korea | Pakistan | Philippines | Singapore | South Korea | Sri-Lanka | Taiwan | Thailand | Vietnam.
- Plasan Delivers Sandcat EX11 Armored Vehicles to the IDF Nov 25, 2022The SandCat EX11 was designed and produced by Plasan, using commercial Ford F550 chassis, stripped off the standard body, and added the armored capsule designed by the company’s unique kitted-hull architecture enabling flexible configurations for different uses.
- Coordinated Drone Attack Targets the Russian Black Sea Fleet at Sevastopol Oct 30, 2022The drone attack on the Russian Navy’s main Black Sea port of Sevastopol on 28 October represents a new phase in the modern drone war. According to Russian MOD, the attack involved nine unmanned aerial vehicles and seven unmanned strike boats. The Russians admit damage to one of their vessels and to one of the port barriers.
- High-Energy Laser Weapon Tested on a German Navy Frigate Oct 27, 2022The German Armed Forces have recently fired a shipboard laser weapon against aerial targets. At the test the German frigate Sachsen successfully engaged drones at a short and very short range. Testing of the high-energy laser weapon will continue until mid-2023. These trials have now set the basic stage for introducing laser weapon systems and capabilities into the Bundeswehr – capabilities whose relevance is by no means restricted to the Navy, as defense industries are pressing ahead with laser weapon systems for multiple applications.
- Hensoldt’s new Pointer to Improve Sensor-to-Shooter Engagement at Short Ranges Oct 21, 2022Hensoldt has developed a handheld Short-Range Pointer (SRP) device that couples to remotely controlled weapon stations (RCWS) on board to significantly reduce the ‘sensor to shooter’ cycle.
- Sea Spider to Protect Surface Vessels from Submarine’s Attacks Oct 19, 2022Atlas Elektronik displayed the Sea Spider Anti-Torpedo Torpedo (ATT) at Eurosatory 2022. The system provides an effective and affordable hard-kill solution protecting surface ships against torpedo threats.
- Israel Shipyards Unveil the New SAAR 80 Class Corvette Oct 19, 2022Israel Shipyards today at the Euronaval 2022 exhibition a new variant of its SAAR class corvette line – the SAAR S-80. The new vessel joins the S-72 that serves in the Israel Navy as a Light Patrol Corvette, and the RESHEF Class an advanced multi-role vessel. The S-80 can be adjusted to accommodate Corvette or an OPV version, depending on the operational requirements. Israel Shipyards intends to make the new S80 its flagship vessel for the next decade, serving the needs of the Israeli and foreign navies.
- UAVs to Deploy BAE Systems’ Depth Charges Oct 18, 2022BAE Systems is developing a new type of depth charge designed for deployment from UAVs. The weapon consists of a small cylindrical container packing an explosive charge and a triggering mechanism activating the blast at the designated depth. The weapon is in an advanced development phase and has already attracted customer interest, for its ability to enhance counter-diver security in coastal and shallow waters.
- SHARK – A Smart Weapon Station for Light Boats Oct 17, 2022General Robotics’ new SHARK Remotely Controlled Weapon Station (RCWS) addresses the need for SOF to operate their weapons on small boats, moving at high speed and agility. Designed to be mounted on smaller boats and handle recoil loads with less weight and energy, SHARK is optimized for manned and unmanned fast boats.
- Thai Navy to Operate Hermes-900 on Maritime Surveillance and SaR Missions Sep 28, 2022Elbit Systems has received a contract valued at $120 million to supply Hermes 900 Maritime Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) and training capabilities to the Royal Thai Navy. The contract will be performed over three years.
- IDF Fields Thousands of Interactive Information Devices Assisting Dismounted Leaders Sep 28, 2022Israel Defense Forces have received thousands of ORION Systems, providing a smartphone-based hand-held interactive information devices for junior officers and team leaders. The ‘Olar’ and ‘Amud’ systems as they are called by the IDF is designed as rugged and secured mobile device based on the Android platform. The system enables mission planning, navigation, positioning, and enhanced situational awareness using a 3 dimensional GIS database and Augmented Reality (AR) capabilities.
Research Focus: The Malaysian Defense Industry to 2016:
Malaysian military expenditur
Between 2005 and 2010, Malaysian military expenditure increased at a CAGR of 2.75% and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 9.25% during the forecast period (2011 – 2016), to value US$5.91 billion by 2016, an ICD research paper indicated. The country’s defense expenditure is anticipated to continue to increase due Malaysia’s geographical location in an unstable region, the country’s involvement with Singapore in competitive arms procurement, its strained relationship with Indonesia and Malaysia’s involvement in peacekeeping missions.
In 2010, Malaysian capital defense expenditure accounted for 22% of the total defense budget, while revenue expenditure accounted for 78% of total expenditure. However, capital expenditure as a share of the total defense budget is expected to increase to an average of 24% by 2016.
For more information on “The Malaysian Defense Industry to 2016″ (product ID: # Defense-Update DF0071MR Request for Quotation). The report is available in electronic form from ICD. Single User License costs: $1,250.-
To order this report and request more information please contact: Rosezena Pare