Market Research and Other Regional Defense Updates:
Afghanistan | Australia | Brunei | Bangladesh | China | India | Indonesia | Japan | Malaysia | Myanmar |
North Korea | Pakistan | Philippines | Singapore | South Korea | Sri-Lanka | Taiwan | Thailand | Vietnam.
- Lifting the Veil of Israel’s Classified Laser Weapon Program Jan 8, 2020 Israel’s Ministry of Defense revealed today a major achievement in a high energy laser program undergoing with the Directorate of Defense Research and Development (DDR&D). Investments in laser technology made by the department have led to the ability to precisely focus laser beams on long-range targets, overcoming atmospheric disturbances.
- F-16 Downs a Cruise Missile with APKWS Dec 24, 2019 The US Air Force successfully demonstrated the intercept of an aerial target using the AGR-20A Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System (APKWS) laser-guided rocket. This proof of concept can have implications for homeland defense missions, Combined Defense of the Arabian Gulf.
- 155mm Artillery System Claims World Record: 76km Nov 27, 2019 In a recent firing series held in South Africa, the German-South African joint-venture Rheinmetall Denel Munitions (RDM) demonstrated a dramatic increase in the range of its artillery firepower. The demonstration employed three 155 mm cannons with 52 and 39 caliber lengths, which scored three world records – firing at ranges of 76, 67 and 54 km.
- Israeli-Designed Mini Corvettes to Replace Eight Hetz Missile Boats Nov 20, 2019 With ongoing domestic procurement of naval weapon systems for Magen corvettes and Dolphin submarines, and growing export opportunities, naval programs become an important growth opportunity for Israel’s defense industries.
- Russian Air Force Begins Testing MALE Strike Drones Nov 2, 2019 The Russian Air Force has begun testing the medium-altitude long-range drone Orion Medium Altitude, Long Endurance (MALE) strike-reconnaissance drones.
- E-Lynx SDR to Modernize the Swiss Army Mobile Communications Oct 29, 2019 Switzerland has selected Elbit Systems to replace the vehicular tactical radio equipment currently used by the Swiss military. A contract award for the supply of software-defined radios, vehicle intercoms, and headsets is expected to be worth several hundred-millions of Swiss Francs and is subject to Swiss Parliament approvals.
- Agreement to buy 478 F-35 Sets F-35A Unit Price Below $80 Million Target Oct 29, 2019 The F-35 Joint Program Office and Lockheed Martin finalized a $34 billion agreement for the production and delivery of 478 F-35s in three models, at the lowest aircraft price during the history of the Program.
- Counter Drone System Repels Drone Attack on a Portuguese Port at REP(MUS)19 NATO Exercise Oct 25, 2019 Dozens of unmanned underwater, surface and air vehicles from NATO countries have gathered in Portugal for two weeks in September, testing new technological advances in unmanned maritime systems networks. To beef up its Port defense capability the Portuguese Navy invited IAI to bring its Drone-Guard C-UAS system that provided unprecedented situational awareness and drone defeat capability during the exercise.
- Raytheon to Build a New 360 Radar for the US Army Patriot Air Defense Systems Oct 17, 2019 The Raytheon Company announced it has been selected to provide the US Army with its next-generation, 360-degree capable radar – known as the Lower Tier Air and Missile Defense Sensor (LTAMDS). Deployment of sensors like LTAMDS is expected to close the vulnerability of sectorial air defenses that was clearly demonstrated in the failure of Saudi Arabian air defenses to detect and warn of the Iranian cruise missile attack.
- Soft-Kill System Seconds a Hard-Kill in a Layered Defense Demonstration Oct 14, 2019 BAE Systems unveiled its next-generation active protection system called raven today, at the US Army (AUSA) convention. Raven uses a unique, non-kinetic InfraRed (IR) countermeasure system to defeat guided missiles fired at the protected platform. Raven has already demonstrated its effectiveness against guided missiles in several tests.
Research Focus: The Malaysian Defense Industry to 2016:
Malaysian military expenditur
Between 2005 and 2010, Malaysian military expenditure increased at a CAGR of 2.75% and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 9.25% during the forecast period (2011 – 2016), to value US$5.91 billion by 2016, an ICD research paper indicated. The country’s defense expenditure is anticipated to continue to increase due Malaysia’s geographical location in an unstable region, the country’s involvement with Singapore in competitive arms procurement, its strained relationship with Indonesia and Malaysia’s involvement in peacekeeping missions.
In 2010, Malaysian capital defense expenditure accounted for 22% of the total defense budget, while revenue expenditure accounted for 78% of total expenditure. However, capital expenditure as a share of the total defense budget is expected to increase to an average of 24% by 2016.
For more information on “The Malaysian Defense Industry to 2016″ (product ID: # Defense-Update DF0071MR Request for Quotation). The report is available in electronic form from ICD. Single User License costs: $1,250.-
To order this report and request more information please contact: Rosezena Pare