Other Regional Defense Updates:
Afghanistan | Australia | Brunei | Bangladesh | China | India | Indonesia | Japan | Malaysia | Myanmar |
North Korea | Pakistan | Philippines | Singapore | South Korea | Sri-Lanka | Taiwan | Thailand | Vietnam.
- Franco-German Alliance – First Step on a 20-Year MGCS Development May 25, 2020 Germany and France began to harmonize requirements and concepts, with the intention to formalize joint system architecture for their future main battle tank, currently known as the ‘Main Ground Combat System’ (MGCS). This future combat system is expected to succeed the Bundeswehr’s Leopard 2 and the French Army’s Leclerc beginning in 2035.
- Milrem Robotics Introduces a 12-ton Robotic Vehicle for Mechanized, Armored Warfare May 25, 2020 Milrem Robotics company from Estonia has developed a Robotic Combat Vehicle (RCV) known as Type-X, introducing new and exciting manned-unmanned capabilities to modern combat. “Milrem Robotics plans to complete the vehicle prototype by the end of the 3rd quarter of 2020 and begin mobility testing in October.” Kuldar Väärsi, Milrem CEO said.
- Hidden Gems in US-Israeli Defense Industrial Cooperation May 22, 2020 Suffering in silence under the crisis triggered by COVID 19 is not the way to respond to the dramatic market changes unfolding. Guest author Joel Alon outlines some of the positive prospects hiding in this dire situation, presenting new opportunities for Israel’s struggling defense industries.
- A European Team Integrates Aircraft Radar, Radio & ECM Into One Unit May 20, 2020 The Spanish electronics consortium Indra announced it will lead the CROWN research and development project to develop and equip European fighters and other aircraft with a combined, software-defined radar, communications, and electronic defense enabling future aircraft to dominate the radioelectronic space.
- Next Gen Jammer Nears Flight Testing May 19, 2020 The U.S. Navy recently completed a portion of developmental testing of the Next Generation Jammer Mid-Band (NGJ-MB) electronic warfare (EW) pod. Moving to flight testing with Air Test and Evaluation Squadron (VX) 23 by late June or early July 2020, the program is scheduled to reach Milestone C by the end of this fiscal year and expected to become operational in 2023.
- U.S. Army to Test 120mm Semi-Automatic Mortars from Finland May 19, 2020 Patria and the U.S. Army have entered into an agreement for a feasibility study of incorporating a turreted, breech-loaded 120 mm mortar weapon system in U.S. mortar carriers. The evaluation will assess the integration of carrier weapon platforms and fire control systems and the use of current U.S. 120 mm mortar ammunition in a breech-loaded system.
- Hermes 900 to Assume SaR Missions in the South China Sea May 7, 2020 Elbit Systems has recently delivered Unmanned Aerial Systems equipped for maritime search and rescue to an undisclosed customer in South-East Asia. In this configuration, the Hermes 900 is equipped with detection and identification systems, precision dispatch capability, and up to four inflatable life rafts, each can rescue six survivors. This configuration enables the drone to perform long-range maritime Search and Rescue (SaR) missions, and deliver life-saving assistance quickly upon detection of survivors.
- IAI To Produce, Market Zibar Offroad Vehicles May 7, 2020 IAI acquires the manufacturing operations of the Zibar offroad tactical vehicle, designed and built by Israeli offroad entrepreneur Ido Cohen. The Z family activities being acquired include the Zibar, Zmag – a light version of the platform, and ZED – the armored off-road vehicle. IAI ELTA will design and produce the vehicles in its manufacturing site in Beer Sheva, where RAM vehicles are currently built. The company plans to adapt and configure the vehicles for military and homeland defense applications, and now, acting as the vehicle design authority will be well-positioned to address specific customer requirements.
- Greece Leases Heron Drones from Israel May 6, 2020 Greece is leasing Heron I unmanned aerial systems (UAS) from Israel for a three-year service. the drones will be configured for maritime surveillance missions and will operate from the island of Crete. The Herons will be tasked primarily with maritime surveillance and border security. The Heron regularly operates in the region, since the drone was cleared to operate in civil airspace by Israel’s Civil Aviation Authority in 2007.
- Loyal Wingman Prototype Rolls Out in Australia May 5, 2020 The unmanned Loyal Wingman aircraft was unveiled in Australia yesterday. The aircraft is the first of three prototypes built under the Australian Loyal Wingman program. The Loyal Wingman prototype now moves into ground testing, followed by taxi and a first flight later this year.