Other Regional Defense Updates:
Afghanistan | Australia | Brunei | Bangladesh | China | India | Indonesia | Japan | Malaysia | Myanmar |
North Korea | Pakistan | Philippines | Singapore | South Korea | Sri-Lanka | Taiwan | Thailand | Vietnam.
- IAI Develops a Hybrid Loitering EO-Guided Missile for US Irregular Warfare Jan 19, 2023IAI has been awarded a multi-million-dollar contract by the Irregular Warfare Technical Support Directorate (IWTSD) of the US Department of Defense (DoD) to rapidly develop and deliver “ROC-X,” a version of the POINT BLANK hybrid-missile system, designed to increase the organic precision strike lethality of small tactical teams. The Point Blank weapon has already been tested in Israel, and IAI plans to deliver the first ROC-X prototypes and training to DoD for Operational Testing and Evaluation in FY-23.
- A Smart Sight Provides Tactical Operators with Counter-Drone Overmatch at Long Range Jan 11, 2023After less than three years of development, Smartshooter has reached the final milestone of the Individual Weapon Overmatch Optic (IWOO) program, successfully passing the system’s Technology Readiness Review (TRR). As part of this phase, two prototype systems were taken through a series of live-fire tests by IWTSD to ensure the system met the contract performance requirements. The systems performed well and fired day and night, using clip-on night vision devices.
- Foreign Exhibits at Vietnam Defence 2022 Jan 5, 2023Defense-Update impressions from the main foreign exhibits at Vietnam Defence 2022.
- Vietnam International Defense Expo Reflects Hanoi’s Military Prowess Jan 5, 2023The Vietnam Defense Exhibition, held at a Hanoi airbase, attracted 174 exhibitors from 30 countries. Vietnam is considering adopting a “Make in Vietnam” policy similar to India’s to strengthen the capabilities of its local defense industry and support significant defense procurement programs. The exhibition provided local companies with an opportunity to showcase their capabilities and find potential foreign partners.
- Gearing Up for IDEX / NAVDEX 2023 Jan 5, 2023International Defence Exhibition and Conference (IDEX 2023) and the 7th edition of the Naval Defence Exhibition and Conference (NAVDEX 2023), which will take place on 20-24 February 2023. Organized by ADNEC Group at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre, in association with the UAE Ministry of Defense, the events are set to showcase a wide range of new features and attract leading participants and exhibitors from the international defense industry.
- US Army Completes Successful Iron Fist Tests Series on Bradley Armored Fighting Vehicles Jan 5, 2023The US Army recently completed rigorous testing on the Iron Fist Active Protection System (APS) that showed significantly improved results over previous tests. The testing completed in October 2022 of the Iron Fist Light Decoupled (IFLD) system demonstrated improvements in both durability and system effectiveness, compared to the previous testing on the Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle. The Army is considering the system to equip its Bradley, OMFV and other light armored vehicles.
- RAFAEL Enhances SPYDER with Counter-Ballistic Missile Capability Jan 4, 2023Rafael Advanced Defense Systems has announced it has enhanced its SPYDER air defense system with a Counter-TBM (tactical ballistic missiles) capability. The enhancement was developed in response to urgent operational requests from several customers. The program will extend the capabilities of the SPYDER’s effectors and implement various Counter-TBM derivatives across the system.
- Oshkosh Defense to Produce Hundreds of Eitan Armored Vehicles for Israel Dec 28, 2022Israel’s Ministry of Defense has selected Oshkosh Defense to produce hundreds of hulls for the IDF’s new wheeled Armored Personnel Carriers (APC). The announcement follows a process led by the Ministry of Defense’s Procurement Mission in the US, in cooperation with the Tank and APC Directorate. The program is likely to produce 500 vehicles, with hundreds more deliveries expected in the future. Eitan will replace M113s in service with the IDF since the late 1960s.
- IDF Completes Iron Fist APS Integration on Eitan APC, Armored Bulldozers Dec 12, 2022Israel Integrates “Iron Fist” Active Protection Systems (APS) in the ‘Eitan’ Armored Personnel Carrier and ‘Panda’ Armored D9 Bulldozer. A final test series completed the integration process, demonstrating successful interception tests in various challenging scenarios. The video documenting the tests depicts a new version of the APS, employing a smaller radar panel and protected launchers.
- B-21 Raider – The US Air Forces’ Next Generation Bomber Dec 6, 2022On 2 December 2022, the US Air Force publicly unveiled its new bomber, the B-21 Raider. The aircraft is the first new, long-range strike bomber in a generation; it is designed to be the multifunctional backbone of the modernized bomber fleet. Although the B-21 will be the most expensive aircraft in history, it is designed to be more affordable to operate over its service life.