Other Regional Defense Updates:
Afghanistan | Australia | Brunei | Bangladesh | China | India | Indonesia | Japan | Malaysia | Myanmar |
North Korea | Pakistan | Philippines | Singapore | South Korea | Sri-Lanka | Taiwan | Thailand | Vietnam.
- Raytheon, Dynetics are is Building 100kW Tactical Lasers for the US Army Jul 2, 2018 The Raytheon Company and Dynetics are both developing laser weapon prototypes that will utilize 100 kW class laser weapons. One of the prototypes will be tested by the Army in 2022. Each company received $10 million from the U.S. Army recently, to build a High Energy Laser Tactical Vehicle Demonstrator (HEL TVD) prototype based on the Army Oshkosh tactical FMTV truck.
- Light Patrol with a Class Jan 3, 2019 Since its introduction in 1979 Mercedes Benz G-Wagen (or G Class as it is known by official designation) has become a popular vehicle, not only for adventurers and military forces alike. This article highlights some of the latest military variants unveiled recently, as the G Wagen reaches its 40th anniversary.
- Ukraine Prepares Armed UGVs for a Future Robot War Dec 9, 2018 In response to the hybrid warfare with the Russian Republic, industries across Ukraine were called to improve the warfighting capabilities of the Army by improving existing hardware and producing innovative concepts that could meet the current and future hybrid challenge. Remotely operated systems and capabilities were high on the agenda, with several remotely controlled weapon stations, turrets, and robotic ground vehicles.
- Autonomous Tracked ATVs Roam the UAE Desert Dec 9, 2018 Sand-X Motors has launched an unmanned version of its Tracked All-Terrain Vehicle (T-ATV 1200).
- Robotized T-72s in Russia? Dec 9, 2018 The Russian Ministry of Defense plans an evaluation of an innovative robotic tank formation concept that will enhance the operational capabilities of mechanized formations in urban areas. The ‘Storm’ concept will employ a robotized T-72B3 tank in at least five configurations, to create a semi-autonomous ‘robotic vanguard’, coordinated and controlled by human operators from few kilometers away.
- Mission Master Multi-Mission UGV – Rheinmetall Dec 3, 2018 Rheinmetall Mission Master UGV (MMUGV) uses the 8×8 Avenger manufactured by Argo of Canada as a wheeled platform, designed to support troops on dismounted operations, providing logistic transport, surveillance, protection, medical evacuation, fire suppression, CBRN detection, and communication relay.
- Ironclad UGV – BAE Systems Dec 3, 2018 BAE Systems’ Ironclad UGV was unveiled at DSEI 2017. This tracked robot is designed to be small enough to negotiate tight urban environments and maintains the mobility needed for cross-country operation. It can be carried on a trailer or pickup truck or join other vehicles in a convoy.
- Meteor Aerospace RAMBOW Dec 3, 2018 Meteor Aerospace has developed the Rambow UGV as part of an unmanned systems solution for land, air and sea applications. An electrically driven 6×6 robotic platform, of 3.5 tons gross vehicle weight, Rambow can carry payloads and cargo weighing over 1,000 ton, at a speed of 50 km/h on and off-road. The vehicle can travel 50 km on battery power, or 300 km charging its batteries with the internal diesel generator.
- To Become Combat Teammates, Robots Must Earn Soldier’s Trust First Nov 12, 2018 With autonomous vehicles rapidly maturing and expected to become part of our daily life in five to ten years, it is only logical that military robotics will follow. But, according to Meir Shabtai, General Manager of Robotic Systems Division at Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), the military robots are already here now.
- New Drones Dominate China’s Airshow Nov 9, 2018 The Chinese Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation (CASIC) unveiled at AirshowChina a new jet-powered, long-range UAV called WJ-700. This drone is designed for reconnaissance and attack missions over land and sea. The drone has an endurance of 20 hours. At a maximum takeoff weight of 3,500 kg, it carries weapons and payloads on four underwing hardpoints, two for each wing. Unlike other MALE UAVs that are limited to relatively light weapons, this drone carries standard air to surface attack weapons, such as the CM-102 anti-radiation missile, C701, and C-705KD anti-ship missiles. Other loads include early warning and electronic warfare equipment. Another combat drone (UCAV) unveiled in AirshowChina this year is the stealthy Rainbow CH-7. The tailless flying-wing shaped aircraft displayed by the Chinese is similar to American designs, such as X-47 and X-45. Despite its large size – a wingspan of 22 meters and length of 10 meters, and a maximum takeoff weight of 13 tons, CH-7 is stealthy due to the smoothly curved shapes and use of radar absorbent materials. Designed for operation at subsonic speed and high altitude, CH-7 can reach a maximum speed of 0.75 Mach, cruising at an altitude of 30,000 – 43,000 ft. Its cruising speed is slower though, Mach 0.5 – 0.6, depending on the mission configuration. The drone is powered by a turbofan engine of an unknown type. The drone carries weapons in two internal weapon bays that maintains its low observable characteristics throughout the mission. Like other drones of the ‘Rainbow’ family, CH-7 supports fully automatic operation, with mission control provided by a universal ground station. Stealth enables the drone to sustain operations in airspace dominated by enemy defenses, radars, and sensors. It can penetrate conduct reconnaissance missions or attack strategic radars, ships, missile sites, command centers, and other key assets. The Chinese Navy is ...
- New Missiles Unveiled at Airshow China 2018 Nov 7, 2018 An illustrated report reflecting on of some of the new missiles displayed this week at the Airshow China in Zhuhai.