Other Regional Defense Updates:
Afghanistan | Australia | Brunei | Bangladesh | China | India | Indonesia | Japan | Malaysia | Myanmar |
North Korea | Pakistan | Philippines | Singapore | South Korea | Sri-Lanka | Taiwan | Thailand | Vietnam.
- IDF Protects Eitan APCs and D9 Bulldozers With Iron-Fists Aug 20, 2019 Israel’s Ministry of Defense announced today the selection of Elbit Systems’ Iron-Fist Active Protection System (APS) for the protection of some of the IDF combat and combat support armored vehicles. The selection followed a competitive evaluation of several APS solutions.
- Israel MOD Evaluates Future Concepts for Armored Warfare Aug 4, 2019 Israel’s Ministry of Defense Defense Research and Development Directorate (DRDD) provided today a glimpse into the Carmel technology demonstration program, evaluating future combat vehicle technologies for the late 2020 and beyond. Rafael, Elbit Systems and IAI participated in the demonstration showcasing how each group addressed a technology approach to meet the challenge.
- Russian Okhotnik-B Combat Drone (UCAV) Makes its First Flight Aug 3, 2019 The Russian Su-70 Okhotnik-B (Hunter) unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV), developed by the Sukhoi Design Bureau, has made its maiden flight on Saturday, August 3rd. 2019. The news released by the Russian Defense Ministry on Saturday, according to Russian Tass news agency. No photos were released at the time of publication. According to a Russian Ministry of Defense release, “The first flight took place at 12.20 Moscow time and lasted for over 20 minutes.” This first flight was designed to test the UCAV’s takeoff and landing capabilities. Okhotnik-B was controlled by a human operator throughout the flight, making several circles around the airfield at an altitude of 600 meters and then successfully landed. According to Tass news agency, quoting an unnamed industry source, more flights are scheduled this year to open the drone’s flight envelope and test its autonomous control capabilities levels. These could include full autonomous flight, from takeoff to landing. The drone is being tested at the Chkalov State Flight Test Centre, near Akhtubinsk in the Astrakhan Region, where Su-57 fighters were also tested. In May 2019 the President of the Russian Federation, Vladimir Putin, visited the center and viewed the Okhotnik-B, along with other drones, manned aircraft, and air defense systems. The Chkalov Centre is the largest test center of Russia’s Aerospace Forces.
- Arrow-3 Successfully Intercepts Medium-Range Target Missile over the Pacific Ocean Jul 28, 2019 Arrow-3, the Israeli exo-atmospheric ballistic missile interceptor successfully intercepted three medium-range missile targets over the North Pacific Ocean. The event marked the completion of a full-capacity flight test campaign. Three Medium-Range Ballistic Missile targets were intercepted in outer space, by Arrow-3 interceptors launched from Kodiak, Alaska. The tests were conducted under a joint Israeli-US program led by Israel’s Missile Defense Organization (IMDO) of the Directorate of Defense Research and Development (DDR&D) and the U.S. Missile Defense Agency (MDA).
- The KA-52 Gunship at Army 2019 Jun 26, 2019 Russian Helicopters has displayed the latest version of the KA-52 attack helicopter at the Army 2019 defense expo at Kubinka, in the Moscow region. A derivative of the Kamov KA50 helicopter that used a tandem cockpit, KA-52 This version is based on the KA50, KA-52K is in service with the Russian Army and a navalized version, KA-52K is operated by the Egyptian Navy.
- Pantsir-SM Mitigates Drone-Related Capability Gaps Jun 25, 2019 The KBP group has launched an upgraded export version of the Pantsir-S1M that implements some of the lessons Russia gained from recent combat engagements in Syria. The new configuration that improves the systems capability to deal with unmanned aerial systems (drones) of all types.
- Russian Army to Receive New 8×8 Boomerang AFV Prototypes for Testing Jun 24, 2019 The Russian Boomerang 8×8 combat vehicle was developed by the VPK company in two configurations, the 25 ton K17 Armored Fighting Vehicle (AFV) and a 22-ton amphibious Armored Personnel Carrier (APC) designated K16. Intended to replace heeled combat vehicles such as the BTR
- UVision Introduces New Multi-Mission Loitering Weapons Jun 20, 2019 Although Loitering Munitions (LM) have been introduced decades ago, these weapons have gained general acceptance and maturity in recent years, following their operational debut in battlefields in the Caucasus and the Middle East. While several manufacturers already offer various types of ‘suicide drones’, only a few are committed to this category as Israel’s UVision Air, the developer, and producer of the Hero line of loitering missiles that unveiled a range of new members of its Hero family of LMs this week at the recent Paris Air Show. Uvision has already sold Hero LMs to multiple customers, including the Israel Defense Forces, and leading NATO countries.
- Bringing F-35 Technology to the Rotorcraft World Jun 19, 2019 Excite brings the F-35 display, and image fusion technology to cockpits of future helicopters, such as Future Attack & Reconnaissance Aircraft (FARA) and Future Vertical Lift (FVL), both families are expected to appear in the US and European market in the next decade.
- With Glider Swarms and Hard Kill for Self Protection MBDA Charts the Future of Air Warfare Jun 17, 2019 MBDA provided today a fresh vision of future air warfare. A range of future weapons presented by the company at Paris Air Show 2019, to illustrate the weapons that the Franco-German Future Combat Air System (FCAS) and Britain’s Tempest would carry by 2030-2040.