Other European Defense Updates:
Austria | Belgium | Bulgaria | Czech Republic | Denmark | Estonia | Finland | France | Germany | Hungary | Ireland | Italy | Kroatia | Latvia | Lithuania | Netherlands | NATO | Norway | Poland | Portugal | Romania | Serbia | Slovenia | Sweden | Switzerland.
For an insight into each of the countries, click on the country name for a detailed report listing the 10 recent news items for that specific country.
- Thales’ Nexium to Deliver Combat Cloud Services for NATO Armed Forces Jan 25, 2021NATO has selected Thales to provide the first certified defense cloud solution that can be deployed in the theatre of operations in less than 24 hours. Thales was selected after a worldwide competitive tendering process .
- Rheinmetall Supplies Extended Range Ammunition for 155mm Artillery Jan 25, 2021A NATO customer has awarded Rheinmetall an order for modern artillery ammunition. The Group’s South African subsidiary, Rheinmetall Denel Munition (Pty) Ltd. (RDM), will supply several thousand conventional and extended-range artillery shells of the Assegai family (Base Bleed and V-LAP) as well as M92 Assegai tactical modular charges. Delivery commenced in December 2020 and is to be complete by May 2021. The order is worth around €25 million.
- IAI Supplies Heron MK-II Drones in a Combined Lease and Sale Package Jan 25, 2021IAI announced today it has signed two deals to supply Heron MK II UAV Systems to an Asian Country. The deals represent the first known orders for the Heron MK II system since it was announced 12 months ago.
- Greece Signs Orders for 18 Rafale Fighters and their Weapons Jan 25, 2021Greece Orders 18 Rafales and Equip them with MICA multi-mission air-to-air missiles and Meteor beyond visual range air-to-air missiles, SCALP cruise missiles, and AM39 Exocet anti-ship missiles.
- Spike Missiles Integrated With Slovenian JLTV on Protector RWS Jan 25, 2021The Slovenian Armed Forces (SAF) has completed a successful firing of Rafael’s SPIKE LR missiles in a demonstration in Slovenia, December 2020. During the demonstration, the Slovenian Army also fired SPIKE missiles using the new dismounted digital SPIKE launcher ICLU. Both launchers includes a provision for the use of the more advanced SPIKE LR2.
- Australia Selects AH-64E Apache Guardian As Tiger ARH Replacements Jan 19, 2021Australia formally selected the Boeing AH-64E as a replacement for the Airbus Tiger armed reconnaissance helicopter (ARH). The new helicopter is expected to enter service by 2025.
- Second B-21 Under Construction Jan 19, 2021The first B-21 Raider bomber is expected to roll out early next year and fly in the middle of 2022. The production of the second B-21 stealth bomber is already underway at Northrop Grumman’s facility in Palmdale, Calif.,
- Nexter Performs Successful Test with KATANA Guided Artillery Projectile Jan 19, 2021Nexter Munitions successfully fired the KATANA smart artillery ammunition and tested its flight control capability during a test campaign in Sweden. During the test, the electronic and electromechanical systems were exposed to extreme physical conditions of the 155mm gun firing, demonstrating the system’s endurance to realistic firing conditions.
- ARMATA – The Russian Battle Tank for the Future Generation Dec 31, 2020As the most sophisticated combat vehicle of Russian production, the ARMATA Main Battle Tank and heavy Armored Fighting Vehicle family has a high price threshold, by Russian standards. The ambitious plan forecasted the induction of 2,300 ARMATA-class tanks by 2025, but by the end of 2020, the fielding of ARMATA still lags, with completion of development expected only by 2022.
- AI Enhancing Land Forces’ Weapons and Platforms Dec 27, 2020Modern software-defined radios offering virtually unlimited bandwidth enable the warfighter to determine position, navigation, and timing without the support of GPS, opens unprecedented opportunities for joint fires, employing RAFAEL’s ‘FIRE WEAVER’ battle command capabilities as seen here at a battalion-level exercise held last year. Connecting the dismounted teams with all sensors and effectors assigned to the operation, FIRE WEAVER can immediately address every target and call for fire assigning the most suitable and available weapon, within the availability, operational parameters, rules of engagement, and legal restrictions. With this capability FIRE WEAVER supports the dismounted squad, far beyond the organic weapons that members carry with them.