Other Regional Defense Updates:
Algeria | Bahrain | Cyprus | Egypt | Iran | Iraq | Israel | Jordan | Kuwait |
Lebanon | Libya | Morocco | Oman | Qatar | Saudi-Arabia | Syria | Turkey |
Tunisia | UAE | Yemen.
- Australia Selects Korean, German Industries for Next Gen IFV/APC Evaluation Sep 16, 2019 The Australian MOD has shortlisted two companies for the Land 400 Phase 3 Risk Mitigation Activity (RMA) of the next-generation tracked infantry fighting vehicle (IFV) and armored personnel carriers (APC), to replace the Australian M-113s. The two contenders are Hanwha Defense System AS21 Redback and Rheinmetall Lynx KF-41.
- Elbit Systems of America to Provide Displays and Datalinks for Boeing T-X Sep 16, 2019 Elbit Systems of America confirmed it will supply Boeing a number of products – including cockpit displays, datalinks, and embedded training capabilities for the T-X advanced pilot training aircraft Boeing is developing for the United States Air Force. In the initial phase, Boeing was selected to deliver 351 trainers, over 10 years, from 2024 to 2034.
- Attack on Saudi Oil Refineries Proves the Devastating Potential of Iranian Cruise Missiles Sep 14, 2019 On the night of September 14, 2019, several attacks rocked two strategic infrastructure sites in Saudi Arabia. One target was a large oil field at Khurais, recently developed by the Saudi national oil company Aramco. The second is the company’s main processing center and one of the world’s largest oil refineries at Buqayq, 200 km northeast of Khurais.
- Babcock led Team to Build Five Type 31 Light Frigates for the Royal Navy Sep 12, 2019 Babcock Team 31 has been selected by the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) as the preferred bidder to deliver its new warships. Led by Aerospace and Defence company Babcock, in partnership with the Thales Group, the T31 general-purpose frigate program will deliver the Royal Navy with five light frigates, at an average production cost of £250 million per ship. The first ship is scheduled for launch in 2023. The ships follow Babcocks’s Arrowhead 140 design, balancing between global mission capability in blue or white waters, both at an affordable cost. Work on the fleet of five ships will begin immediately following formal contract award later this financial year, with detailed design work to start now and manufacture commencing in 2021 and concluding in 2027.
- German Puma Equips with MUSS Soft-Kill APS Sep 12, 2019 The HENSOLDT company has delivered the 300th active protection system (soft kill) equipping the German Puma infantry fighting vehicle. In total, the company is under contract to deliver 342 MUSS equipment sets by 2020 to PSM, the vehicle manufacturing JV.
- New Defensive Suites for RAF Shadows Sep 11, 2019 The UK Ministry of Defence has chosen Leonardo/Thales protection system to protect the RAF Shadow ISTAR fleet. This single-source selection by the MOD follows the recent SALT III international trials hosted by the Swedish Defence Materiel Administration in Sweden. There, the integrated Miysis/Elix-IR system, using a jamming waveform developed by the UK MOD’s Defence Science and Technology Laboratory, proved its ability to defeat Infra-Red missiles in live-fire exercises.
- RAF Launches a 3-Year Study of UAS Threats & C-UAS Requirements Sep 11, 2019 The Royal Air Force has selected Leonardo to support the next stage of their research and development program, exploring the current and future threat posed by hostile drones, and evaluating a range of technologies for counter-drone capability. The three-year program will commence in early 2020. Leonardo counter-drone technology has already seen use with the RAF and is under contract for the Italian Army and Air Force. In 2018 and 2019, following drone sightings at Gatwick and Heathrow airports, elements of Leonardo’s counter-drone technology were deployed by the RAF to allow airport operations to resume.
- IAI’s EO/IR POPSTAR is designed to Detect ‘Flying IEDs’ Sep 10, 2019 IAI introduced today the ‘POPSTAR’, a persistent surveillance sensor using an EOIR camera array to automatically detect and track small, flying or moving targets in the air and on the ground, track those targets and designate the targets deemed suspicious and dangerous for engagement by countermeasures and weapons.
- Supacat’s Advanced Off-Road Platforms – Mobile Fires, Autonomous Hybrid Vehicle Sep 9, 2019 Supacat, Rheinmetall Defence and SCISYS have partnered to showcase at DSEI 2019 the ‘High Mobility Integrated Fires Capability’. Supacat also demonstrates a hybrid, optionally manned autonomous ATMP developed in cooperation with te University of Exeter
- Airstrike Destroys New Iranian Storage Facilities on Syria-Iraq Border Sep 9, 2019 Few days after Fox News reported about extensive construction of a new military base near the Syrian border crossing at Albukamal-Al-Qaim, the site suffered an airstrike that destroyed some of the site’s protected structures, allegedly providing forward storage for Iranian ballistic missiles. The new site, like others, that recently struck in Iraq and Syria, was manned by the Iranian sponsored Popular Mobilization Force (PMF).