Other Regional Defense Updates:
Algeria | Bahrain | Cyprus | Egypt | Iran | Iraq | Israel | Jordan | Kuwait |
Lebanon | Libya | Morocco | Oman | Qatar | Saudi-Arabia | Syria | Turkey |
Tunisia | UAE | Yemen.
- SeaGull USV Broadens Surveillance Capability with an ‘Eye in the Sky’ Jul 9, 2020 Elbit Systems has added an Unmanned Aerial System capability to the Seagull Unmanned Surface Vessel (USV), broadening surveillance and intelligence gathering capabilities of the unmanned boat. Trials conducted in recent weeks were dedicated to the integration of Elbit Systems’ Skylark C mini-Unmanned Aerial System (UAS), onboard the Seagull USV, further enhancing its intelligence-gathering capabilities.
- ECA Adds an Unmanned Rotorcraft to the Belgian-Dutch MCM Program Jul 8, 2020 ECA has added an Unmanned Rotorcraft to the Belgian-Dutch MCM Program. The drone will join other unmanned systems organized in a ‘Toolbox’, that represents the ECA Group integrated MCM capability of the Belgian-Dutch navies. The Toolbox consists of the integrated operation of remotely controlled and autonomous aerial, surface, and underwater systems.
- Israel Deploys OFEK 16 Spy Satellite in Orbit Jul 6, 2020 The Space Administration in the Directorate of Defense Research and Development (DDR&D), of the Israel Ministry of Defense (IMoD), and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), have successfully launched the “Ofek 16” reconnaissance satellite into space, today (6.07.2020), at 4:00 AM. The launch was performed from the Palmachim Airbase in Israel, a launch site based south of Tel Aviv in central Israel, using a “Shavit” launcher.
- Kongsberg, Patria team to produce turreted mortars in the USA Jun 30, 2020 The Norwegian company Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace AS and Finland’s Patria Oyj have formed a teaming agreement to provide turreted mortar solutions for future U.S. Army mortar programs. Under this agreement the team will promote the turreted mortar and produce the 120mm Patria Nemo, turreted, remote-controlled mortar system in the US.
- Drone Guard adds Iron Drone’s Interceptor Drone to Defeat Drones, Swarms Jun 29, 2020 Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and Iron Drone today announced that they have entered a collaboration agreement for the integration of Iron Drone’s interception capabilities into IAI’s advanced anti-drone system, Drone Guard. The system can deploy several intercepting drones simultaneously, thus addressing multiple threats or swarms. The Iron Drone interceptor uses sensors and Artificial Intelligence (AI) based computer vision to home and locks on the target and homes-in up to the physical contact.
- IAI’s LORA Missile Conducts Double Test at Sea Jun 2, 2020 Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) has completed a dual operational firing trial with LORA (Long-Range Artillery Weapon System), a precise ballistic strike missile. Performed as part of IAI’s work plan, the test demonstrated the capabilities of the advanced system to customers. The complex trial included two scenarios to test and demonstrate LORA’s advanced capabilities. The first scenario involved a short-range launch to 90 km and the second to a long range of 400 km. Under both scenarios, the missile was launched to its trajectory, navigated its course to the target, and hit it with utmost precision. Both the weapon system and the missile successfully met all of the trial’s objectives.
- Franco-German Alliance – First Step on a 20-Year MGCS Development May 25, 2020 Germany and France began to harmonize requirements and concepts, with the intention to formalize joint system architecture for their future main battle tank, currently known as the ‘Main Ground Combat System’ (MGCS). This future combat system is expected to succeed the Bundeswehr’s Leopard 2 and the French Army’s Leclerc beginning in 2035.
- Milrem Robotics Introduces a 12-ton Robotic Vehicle for Mechanized, Armored Warfare May 25, 2020 Milrem Robotics company from Estonia has developed a Robotic Combat Vehicle (RCV) known as Type-X, introducing new and exciting manned-unmanned capabilities to modern combat. “Milrem Robotics plans to complete the vehicle prototype by the end of the 3rd quarter of 2020 and begin mobility testing in October.” Kuldar Väärsi, Milrem CEO said.
- Hidden Gems in US-Israeli Defense Industrial Cooperation May 22, 2020 Suffering in silence under the crisis triggered by COVID 19 is not the way to respond to the dramatic market changes unfolding. Guest author Joel Alon outlines some of the positive prospects hiding in this dire situation, presenting new opportunities for Israel’s struggling defense industries.
- A European Team Integrates Aircraft Radar, Radio & ECM Into One Unit May 20, 2020 The Spanish electronics consortium Indra announced it will lead the CROWN research and development project to develop and equip European fighters and other aircraft with a combined, software-defined radar, communications, and electronic defense enabling future aircraft to dominate the radioelectronic space.