Other European Defense Updates:
Austria | Belgium | Bulgaria | Croatia | Czech Republic | Denmark | Estonia | Finland | France | Germany | Hungary | Ireland | Italy | Latvia | Lithuania | Netherlands | NATO | Norway | Poland | Portugal | Romania | Serbia | Slovenia | Sweden | Switzerland.
For an insight into each of the countries, click on the country name for a detailed report listing the 10 recent news items for that specific country.
- Iron Dome: Services Tighten Joint Operability, Rafael and Raytheon Expand Cooperation Aug 4, 2020 The U.S. production facility will provide Israel the ability to finance the acquisition of Iron Dome batteries, and Tamir missile interceptor reloads with U.S. military support. Apart from protecting troops and bases, Iron Dome will be able to protect long-range defense systems such as the THAAD, which could be vulnerable to unconventional threats such as short-range missiles, cruise missiles and drones.
- Downing an Azeri Strategic Drone – Fake or True? Jul 23, 2020 A recent flare-up in the ongoing border dispute between Armenia and Azerbaijan in the Tavush province bordering the Tovuz district in western Azerbaijan has demonstrated the growing role of unmanned aerial systems in modern warfare. Although Armenia has displayed proofs of shooting down 13 drones, our analysis of Yerevan’s claim to have shot down an Azeri strategic drone seems dubious.
- Israel and Singapore Team up to Market Advanced Anti-Ship Missiles Jul 16, 2020 Singapore Technologies Engineering Ltd (ST Engineering) today signed an agreement to set up a Singapore-based joint venture company (JV) with Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd (IAI). The JV named Proteus Advanced Systems will market and sell advanced naval missile systems, including next-generation anti-ship missile systems.
- Israel Deploys OFEK 16 Spy Satellite in Orbit Jul 13, 2020 The Space Administration in the Directorate of Defense Research and Development (DDR&D), of the Israel Ministry of Defense (IMoD), and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), have successfully launched the “Ofek 16” reconnaissance satellite into space, today (6.07.2020), at 4:00 AM. The launch was performed from the Palmachim Airbase in Israel, a launch site based south of Tel Aviv in central Israel, using a “Shavit” launcher.
- Israel Moves to Tighten, Improve Special Ops, by Establishing a SOF Wing Jul 12, 2020 Israel’s Air Force (IAF) today officially inaugurated the special operations wing, a combat formation that groups the air-force operated elite units under one wing. Based in Palmachim Air Force Base south of Tel Aviv, the 7th Special Operations Wing includes the 669 combat rescue squadron, Shaldag Special Tactics Squadron, and the Tactical Air Operations Unit. The new wing will soon establish a new intelligence to provide intelligence support for the special operations. A training center scheduled to open will complete the wing’s structure in 2022.
- SeaGull USV Broadens Surveillance Capability with an ‘Eye in the Sky’ Jul 9, 2020 Elbit Systems has added an Unmanned Aerial System capability to the Seagull Unmanned Surface Vessel (USV), broadening surveillance and intelligence gathering capabilities of the unmanned boat. Trials conducted in recent weeks were dedicated to the integration of Elbit Systems’ Skylark C mini-Unmanned Aerial System (UAS), onboard the Seagull USV, further enhancing its intelligence-gathering capabilities.
- ECA Adds an Unmanned Rotorcraft to the Belgian-Dutch MCM Program Jul 8, 2020 ECA has added an Unmanned Rotorcraft to the Belgian-Dutch MCM Program. The drone will join other unmanned systems organized in a ‘Toolbox’, that represents the ECA Group integrated MCM capability of the Belgian-Dutch navies. The Toolbox consists of the integrated operation of remotely controlled and autonomous aerial, surface, and underwater systems.
- Kongsberg, Patria team to produce turreted mortars in the USA Jun 30, 2020 The Norwegian company Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace AS and Finland’s Patria Oyj have formed a teaming agreement to provide turreted mortar solutions for future U.S. Army mortar programs. Under this agreement the team will promote the turreted mortar and produce the 120mm Patria Nemo, turreted, remote-controlled mortar system in the US.
- Drone Guard adds Iron Drone’s Interceptor Drone to Defeat Drones, Swarms Jun 29, 2020 Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and Iron Drone today announced that they have entered a collaboration agreement for the integration of Iron Drone’s interception capabilities into IAI’s advanced anti-drone system, Drone Guard. The system can deploy several intercepting drones simultaneously, thus addressing multiple threats or swarms. The Iron Drone interceptor uses sensors and Artificial Intelligence (AI) based computer vision to home and locks on the target and homes-in up to the physical contact.
- IAI’s LORA Missile Conducts Double Test at Sea Jun 2, 2020 Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) has completed a dual operational firing trial with LORA (Long-Range Artillery Weapon System), a precise ballistic strike missile. Performed as part of IAI’s work plan, the test demonstrated the capabilities of the advanced system to customers. The complex trial included two scenarios to test and demonstrate LORA’s advanced capabilities. The first scenario involved a short-range launch to 90 km and the second to a long range of 400 km. Under both scenarios, the missile was launched to its trajectory, navigated its course to the target, and hit it with utmost precision. Both the weapon system and the missile successfully met all of the trial’s objectives.