Other European Defense Updates:
Austria | Belgium | Bulgaria | Croatia | Czech Republic | Denmark | Estonia | Finland | France | Germany | Hungary | Ireland | Italy | Latvia | Lithuania | Netherlands | NATO | Norway | Poland | Portugal | Romania | Serbia | Slovenia | Sweden | Switzerland.
For an insight into each of the countries, click on the country name for a detailed report listing the 10 recent news items for that specific country.
- Thai Navy to Operate Hermes-900 on Maritime Surveillance and SaR Missions Sep 28, 2022Elbit Systems has received a contract valued at $120 million to supply Hermes 900 Maritime Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) and training capabilities to the Royal Thai Navy. The contract will be performed over three years.
- IDF Fields Thousands of Interactive Information Devices Assisting Dismounted Leaders Sep 28, 2022Israel Defense Forces have received thousands of ORION Systems, providing a smartphone-based hand-held interactive information devices for junior officers and team leaders. The ‘Olar’ and ‘Amud’ systems as they are called by the IDF is designed as rugged and secured mobile device based on the Android platform. The system enables mission planning, navigation, positioning, and enhanced situational awareness using a 3 dimensional GIS database and Augmented Reality (AR) capabilities.
- Israel’s Rafael Acquires British Land Systems’ Specialist Pearson Engineering Sep 28, 2022Israel’s defense company Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd. has completed the acquisition of the British defense specialist company Pearson Engineering Ltd. The acquisition was executed under a stock purchase agreement (SPA), transferring 100% of the ownership. The acquisition includes Pearson’s metalworks subsidiary company Responsive Engineering Ltd.
- Yemeni Houthis Display Iranian Drones and Loitering Missiles Sep 27, 2022Among many types of loitering missiles and attack drones displayed by the Houthis at the recent parade in Sanaa was the local version of the Iranian Shahed 136 – the Wa’id, new models of Samad and Qhasef, loitering missiles, Rased weaponized mini-drones, VTOL variant of Mersad-2, and the Masir hexacopter weaponized drone that was also demonstrated in formation flight.
- New Ballistic Missiles Displayed at the Houthi Military Parade Sep 27, 2022New ballistic, cruise and loitering missiles were shown by the Houthis in the recent military parade in Sanaa, Yemen. Among the new missiles were several types of precision-guided ballistic missiles, capable of attack at ranges from 300 to 1,400 km, carrying warheads weighing up to half a ton. All missiles are believed to be Iranian designed, they were likely delivered to Yemen as pre-assembled or knocked down kits.
- Houthis a New Cruise Missile, Quds-3 Sep 27, 2022New ballistic, cruise and loitering missiles were shown by the Houthis in the recent military parade in Sanaa, Yemen. Among the new missiles on display was the Quds-3 cruise missile, believed to be a new, longer-range variant of the Iranian Soumar cruise missile.
- Houthi’s New Naval Weapons Extend Their Reach 200 nm into the Gulf of Aden Sep 26, 2022The Iranians and Houthis have gradually extended the range of their weapons from tens to a few hundred nautical miles. Rather than employing these weapons on board ships to extend range, they can now reach beyond 200 nm, using the new ballistic anti-ship missiles, practically blocking the movements of naval vessels well beyond Yemen’s coastal waters.
- Orbiter 4 (NITZOZ) UAS to Enter IAF Service Sep 21, 2022Israel’s Air & Space Force (IAF) has recently reactivated the 144th squadron at Hatzor air force base, a new unit destined to operate the Orbiter 4 Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) under a new multi-domain force sharing IAF, ground, and intelligence forces assets. These platforms will provide the aerial layer of Israel’s Defense Forces (IDF) ‘Storm Clouds’ program.
- Rheinmetall and UVision Awarded First Order for HERO-30 Loitering Munitions Sep 3, 2022Rheinmetall and its partner UVision have won the first order from a major European NATO military force for HERO loitering munitions. The customer, a special forces unit, placed an initial order for Hero-30 combat and training munitions, simulator, training courses as well as integrated logistics equipment and support. This first order is worth a figure in the single-digit million-euro range with possible additional orders that might be expected. The exact number of munitions to be supplied is classified. The order was placed in July 2022, with delivery scheduled to take place by 2023.
- New Launchers for Laser Guided Rocket Aug 31, 2022While large caliber weapons such as the M142 HIMARS and its M31 GMLRS rockets are making the headlines in the Russian-Ukrainian War, smaller, more agile guided rockets have evolved, utilizing the laser-guided light rockets. Initially, these weapons utilized standard launchers, but recent developments from Thales, BAE Systems, and L3Harris have optimized the use of such weapons by helicopters, special operations forces, and unmanned vehicles.